A tooth extraction can be a difficult process as losing a tooth is never easy, especially psychologically. Thankfully, with the advent of dental implants, bridges, and dentures, there are artificial replacements which can be used that are natural-looking, safe, and fully functional. However, the recovery process after a tooth extraction depends on a few factors. Listed below are some important tips to help you handle a tooth extraction recovery:
– Smoking increases recovery time from an extraction. Quit smoking, or at a minimum, give it up for at least 48 hours before and after surgery.
– Rest and relax after surgery to give your body time to repair. This includes stopping all forms of exercise and fitness.
– If you dentist has given you instructions for recovery, follow them exactly as advised. If any problems or concerns arise, consult your dentist.
– Set forth a plan well in advance of your tooth extraction procedure to ensure you have the best chance of success.
– If excessive swelling occurs, use an ice pack or medications as prescribed by your dentist.
– To avoid choking on food, do not eat until the general anesthetic completely wears off.
For any additional questions or concerns about tooth extraction recovery or any of our wonderful services we provide, E. Morgan Scheiber & Associates is here to help you with all your oral health needs. For a complete diagnosis from Dr. E. Morgan Scheiber and our team at our dentist office in Plymouth, Massachusetts, you can schedule an appointment by calling us at 508-746-4033. We look forward to having you as our guest soon.